ALL ABOARD . . . to save and restore the historic Northfield depot!
Help Us Raise $293,000 to Save and Renovate the Depot
The threatened 1888 Union Pacific depot must be moved or it will be torn down. Save the Northfield Depot must raise $293,000 to move and renovate the depot to assure its preservation. Over $218,000 has been raised so far. Once $228,550 is raised, the depot can be moved to its new location.
Donations can be made online by using the donate button to the right; please note that a processing fee will be subtracted from all online donations. If you would like your FULL donation to go toward restoring the depot, please mail a check to Save the Northfield Depot, 712 4th St. E., Northfield, MN 55057.
Questions and offers of in-kind materials/labor donations are also welcome and accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To Provide a Community Resource
The 1888 depot (on left in image) will provide:
- information for visitors
- public amenities, such as maps, self-guided tours, and snacks and beverages
- public display of items like local artwork, historical artifacts, schedules, and other items
The transit hub (new construction, on right in image) will provide:
- a pavilion for events, such as weddings, art shows, markets and musical performances
- an open space for sculptures, way-finding signs, bike racks, and bike repair station
- a hub for easy pick-up and drop off by car, taxi, transit van, or bus
- a convenient stopping place for bicyclists between the east and west side of the city
- a bike path on track side with potential trail connections in future
Why save the Depot?
The depot was an integral part of Northfield's heritage, but it must now be moved or it will be torn down. The railroad has offered to sell it to us for $1 if we move it from their property. An agreement with the City of Northfield will allow us to purchase for $1 a portion city land between 2nd and 3rd Streets. Saving the depot will also:
- Preserve an architectural treasure and the last key symbol of our railroad heritage
- Help revitalize the west side
- Create additional public amenities and gathering places
- Provide a convenient and attractive setting for a visitor’s center
- Complement the proposed transit hub
- Enhance the appearance of a city gateway